The Youth Commission aims to give young people across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland a real partnership role in shaping the future of policing and crime reduction in their areas. During 2017 you will be asked to:
- Take part in Youth Commission sessions: you will participate in a number of sessions of the Youth Commission throughout the coming 12 months.
- Work on special topics: You will pick a topic (from a shortlist) that interests you to work on with a small group of other members. The shortlist will include topics such as stop and search, preventing re-offending, drug crime etc.
- Gather the views of other young people: You will be given support to carry out peer research with other young people in schools, colleges, universities and youth groups.
- Plan and get involved in events: You will work in a team to design and plan events to engage with other young people in your area. There will also be the opportunity to get involved in community Policing events.
- Report back to the Police and Crime Commissioner: You will contribute towards the analysis of information gathered from young people in your area, and help to present back your conclusions to the Police and Crime Commissioner in your area
Who can apply?
This role is open to anyone aged 14-25 years who will be good team players, will be committed to the project and willing to do all the activities involved.
We’re looking to ensure that the Youth Commission is made up of a diverse group of young people who broadly reflect the make-up of the local population, including those who may have direct experience of the police and justice system.
What will I get from being part of the youth commission team?
- You will have the opportunity to discuss issues with the Police and Crime Commissioner: say what young people think about police and crime in their area.
- Meet new people: You will gain skills in social research, which you will be able to put on your CV for work or application to Further or Higher Education.
- Be an ambassador to other young people: Give a voice to young people in your area.
- Volunteer certificate
- Help you to build up your CV
How much time?
This is a flexible role and hours (in amount and when) are subject to local agreement.
Please read the information sheet which can be downloaded below and then complete the application form and consent form (if you are U18) and email it to email@example.com by Friday 25th November 2016.