EARLY INTERVENTION AND DIVERSION EVENT
On the 29th November 2019 over 100 delegates came together from across Leicestershire and the West Midlands to attend the Serious Youth Violence: Early Intervention & Diversion event.
The event was organised in collaboration between Leicestershire & the West Midlands Office of Police & Crime Commissioners with the aim to analyse the various points of intervention in a young person’s life that may assist them in desisting from violence and criminality.
Speakers were as follows:
- Lord Willy Bach; Leicestershire Police & Crime Commissioner
- David Jamieson; West Midlands Police & Crime Commissioner
- David Thompson; Chief Constable of West Midlands Police
- David Sandall; Assistant Chief Constable of Leicestershire Police
- The Urban Equestrian
- Positive Youth Foundation
- The Antoin Akpom Achievement Foundation
- Claire Dhami; West Midlands Violence Reduction Unit
- Grace Strong; Leicestershire Violence Reduction Network
- Kirk Master; Leicestershire Deputy Police & Crime Commissioner
As part of the event attendees were also able to take part in workshops put on by the following organisations:
- Violent Crime Prevention Board
- St Giles Trust
- Centre for Justice Innovation
- Street Games
The workshops allowed attendees to explore the event themes of early intervention and diversion in more detail and look at topics including; the power of lived experience and how to identify hidden community intervention to address youth criminality.
The overall response on the day was positive, with attendees commenting on how engaging the speakers and workshops were and that it was an excellent opportunity to network.
The powerpoint presentation can be downloaded below: