Calling All Aspiring Leaders
The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) and the Violence Reduction Network (VRN) team are seeking community leaders and potential leaders to take part in a three-month training programme. The programme is open to all ages, although we are particularly interested to increase applications those between the ages of 18 to 30.
The programme aims to identify, develop and support a network of community leaders across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland; who will be connected to, working or volunteering in the voluntary and community sector.
By joining this programme, participants will have the space and support to develop leadership styles and make even more of an impact in communities, as well as having the opportunity to become part of a Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Leaders Network once graduated from the programme.
Participants will gain the knowledge and tools to build a strong grounding as a community leader and have the opportunity to practice using tools and techniques with our coaches and with the other young leaders on the programme.
The following topics are covered in the programme:
- Leadership models and definitions
- Identifying your own strengths as a leader and leadership presence
- The difference between leadership and management
- Developing a vision and a strategy
- Community empowerment and how to engage hard to reach audiences
- Project development and planning
- Measuring the impact of your work (evaluation tools and techniques)
- Fund raising and bid writing
- Managing a team (how managing volunteers is different)
- Understanding how to motivate people
- Effective communications and influencing skills
- Techniques for having difficult conversations
- Using social media to reach your audience
- Showcase presentation of your community work
| Please note important information and dates:|
- Sessions will run every Thursday evening 5pm – 7pm from Thursday 9th Sept 2021 until Thursday 16th December 2021 (including a break during October half term week).
- Sessions will be a mixture of face to face and via an online platform, between the hours of 5pm and 8pm.
- Showcase event will take place on Thursday 16th December 2021 5pm to 8pm
- Participants will receive 1:1 coaching sessions throughout the programme to challenge approaches to leadership, as well as having opportunities to network with decision makers.
As part of the core capacity building work of the office of the PCC and the VRN team, we have developed this programme to continue supporting communities to support themselves; and believe it is one of the best ways to effect long term sustainable change within local areas. Building and harnessing a foundation of skills amongst those who are, and who will remain part of the fabric of said community, is key.
If you are interested in this opportunity or know someone that is, please return the application form to:
The deadline for applications is Friday 13th August at 4pm