Skip Content Skip Content

Hundreds of residents sign up for free security in Lutterworth

Lutterworth Group

More than 200 residents in Lutterworth have already taken advantage of a new safety project delivering free home security improvements to protect their homes.

The scheme, being led by Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Police and Crime Commissioner Rupert Matthews as part of the Safer Streets project, has received huge support from residents since launching in August.

Security partners 24-7 Locks Ltd have already completed 160 upgrades and are urging further eligible residents to contact them as soon as possible to avoid disappointment as the scheme is only available for a limited period.  

Mr Matthews, working in partnership with officers from the local authorities, secured funding worth £432k from the Home Office’s Safer Streets Fund to increase safety in the town centres of Castle Donington, Hinckley, Lutterworth and Melton Mowbray - areas identified as having a disproportionately higher risk of street crime.

He is now working with a team of partners including Harborough District Council, Leicestershire Police, North West Leicestershire District Council, Melton Borough Council and Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council to boost security in key areas to reduce the fear of crime.

The project is offering up to 460 eligible households in Lutterworth a free security assessment to determine their risk. Those deemed to be vulnerable could receive measures such as high security door locks, window locks, door alarms and window alert alarms. 

Mr Matthews said: “We are really pleased at the response to this project so far. Residents have been positive and appreciative of the Safer Streets scheme and have welcomed the opportunity to boost their home security and reduce their risk of being targeted.

“Feeling safe and confident in our homes is vital for mental wellbeing and it is rewarding for all partners to be taking this positive action to reassure our communities. We will soon be moving on to the second phase of project and I urge anyone who has been told they might be eligible for free security improvements in Lutterworth to get in touch before it is too late.”

Cllr Simon Whelband, Harborough District Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities, Wellbeing and Housing, added: “It is great to see people already taking advantage of this opportunity to make their homes more secure. This funding is directly improving the wellbeing and safety of residents in Lutterworth town centre and I hope more people come forward to benefit.”

Overall, Safer Streets will offer up to 1,104 households free security upgrades worth a total of £186k across the four towns while funding will also be dedicated to removing graffiti in Hinckley and increasing engagement with residents.

Communities will benefit from the installation of new police automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras and additional CCTV as well as enhanced street lighting in two key streets, and additional radios to expand the radio link scheme in the Melton and Hinckley areas.

All households within the eligibility catchment area will be informed by post. Residents are urged to call the number provided to arrange a booking slot.

Ends

 

Media Enquiries:  Sallie Blair - 01283 821012 / 07702 541401

 

 

Posted on Wednesday 15th September 2021
Share this